For both women and men, hair play a major role in their appearance. Whether you have long hair or short hair, it doesn’t matter much as long as they look healthy and shiny. In winters, most of our hairs get dry and damaged and sometimes we can’t take care of them properly because of lack of energy and knowledge.
But don’t worry!
Today, we are going to share the ultimate guide to homemade hair treatment that you can actually make in just a few minutes!
In this article, we are going to talk about some homemade hair treatments for these hair problems: greasy hair, dry hair, and damaged hair. We will dive in to them in three chapters.
No need to spend a lot of money on expensive products and costly protein treatments, all you need is to go to your kitchen and find out what you can apply on your hair according to your hair type.
Okay, let’s just start!
Before we talk about ways to reverse greasy hair, we will begin this section with a question.
Why do our hair get greasy?
Greasy hair or oily hair is caused by too much secretion of sebum by the sebaceous glands of the scalp. Some secretion is a normal metabolism thing, but when it’s too much, it makes your hair look oily.
The side effects are even worse, it can cause an itchy scalp, acne scalp, and dandruff, leaving your hair look thinner and dull.
In this chapter, we are going to talk about 3 dairy home products you can use to get rid of it.
1. Apple cider vinegar
Do you have a limp hair? Don’t worry, let’s bring back life to your hair with this homemade treatment.
Apple cider vinegar is a natural killer for bacteria and fungus, making it a great home remedy for greasy hair.
- Firstly, take three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and mix it with a cup of water.
- Secondly, spray it over your hair and make sure the liquid gets into the scalp. (Using a spray bottle in this case can make the process easier.)
- And then, leave it for two to three minutes.
- After that, rinse your hair with cool water.
- Apply this method twice or three times a week.
2. Egg yolk hair mask
Egg yolks have a high sulfur composition, and as we already know, sulfur is a great treatment for skin. Another benefits of sulfur is that it helps to relieve dandruff and greasy hair symptoms.
- First, separate the egg yolks from egg whites.
- Then, beat the egg yolks using egg beater or mixer.
- Apply it to your dry hair, or
- Additionally, you can mix it with honey and olive oil for better result.
- Leave it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse your hair.
3. Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is a well known essential oil that is beneficial for hair, nails, and skin. It can help eliminate dead skin cells, an antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, and antiseptic.
Another benefits of tea tree oil is that it has the ability to control sebum production, which in result, will decrease the possibility of pores blocked with too much sebum.
You can read more about tea tree oil benefits here.
Using tea tree oil for hair treatment is easy peasy!
- You only need to add some drops of tea tree oil into your hair conditioner.
- After that, you can use the conditioner like usual.
The reason why our hair gets so dry is mostly because of underlying health problems. It’s also possible that you may wash your hair too often, using an unsuitable shampoo products, exposing your hair under the hot sun, or even using hair blower too much.
This chapter will talk about 6 dairy products that are very good for your hair health. Shall we begin?
Avocado is a natural hair moisturizer. It is also a rich source of protein, vitamins, minerals, and essential fatty acids that can help moisturize and rejuvenate your scalp (See more benefits of avocado for hair on hairfinity.com.)
With the mixture of olive oil and a little bit of lemon juice, avocado can be a healthy hair mask for damaged hair.
- Take a normal-sized ripe avocado with the rip removed.
- Mash it up.
- Mix the mashed avocado with 4 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Squish this DIY hair mask all over the head and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly.
- Repeat once a week for damaged hair.
- Repeat once a month to keep your hair healthy.
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil contains vitamin K and E which are beneficial for your hair. It also a rich source of medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs.)
Hence, it not only can make your hair softer, but also it can reduce dandruff and make your hair follicles healthier (see why)
Use a liquid coconut oil, but if you have solid oil, you can warm it up until it gets liquid.
- Take a few drops of coconut oil on your hand.
- Apply them to the ends of your hair.
- Leave it overnight and rinse out the next morning.
I don’t recommend to apply coconut oil on scalp as it can bring negative effects on certain skin types.
Bananas are praised for being rich in vitamins, potassium, carbohydrates, and natural oils. They can help you moisturize your scalp. (See more benefits of banana for hair)
Besides, the contained nutrients will also soften your hair and prevent your hair from split ends (which is very annoying.)
- Beat a banana with beater or mixer until it gets pureed.
- Pour 1 tbsp of olive oil to the mix.
- Massage them to your hair and scalp.
- Wear a shower cap for better result.
- Leave it for a half an hour and rinse them off thoroughly.
The type of pumpkin we’re going to use for this home remedy is canned pumpkin, not that huge pumpkin fruit for Halloween.
Why pumpkin? Because it is a great source of vitamins (A and C), zinc, β-Carotene, and potassium. To apply pumpkin puree for hair is super easy, let’s dive in to it.
- Take a cup of pumpkin and add 2 tbsp of honey
- Stir them until they’re well mixed.
- Put the mix on your hair and leave it for 15 minutes.
- You may want to wear a shower cap as well.
- After 15 minutes, you can rinse them off.
For centuries, traditional Chinese medicine has been using sandalwood for therapy. It contains antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, antiphlogistic, astringent, carminative, and many other properties.
That being said, sandalwood oil can help soften your skin and can fix your skin’s ability to retain moisture.
- Take 1 tbsp of sandalwood oil.
- Add a few drops of jojoba oil (or you can replace it with olive oil.)
- Rub the mixture between your palms.
- Apply massage to your dry hair after a shower.
This will make your hair sleek instantly and will retain the moisture of your hair.
6. Plain yogurt
Dairy products like cream and plain yogurt contains fats which are very beneficial for dull hair. Your hair become dull because of the regular usage of styling products like hair wax, hair gel, hair spray and hair mouse which strongly affect your hair.
They cover your hair with dirt and saps moisture, but not to worry dairy products can help you get your hair shine back.
- Apply fresh cream or plain yogurt on slightly wet hair gently.
- Leave them for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water first and then with cool water and shampoo your hair as you normally do.
- This treatment can be applied every other week.
Sometimes, our hair get damaged chemically because of the usage of chemical properties like coloring, perms, or even hair relaxants. In this chapter, we will discuss about 5 natural ways to reverse your damaged hair using things you may already have in your kitchen.
Who knows, a simple diary product like butter has many benefits we never thought about before. Butters not only can make your cookie tasty, but they can also make your hair look glossy.
- Make sure your hair is dried.
- Take a pinch of butter on your hand.
- Rub the butter between your palms in a circular motion.
- Then, give massage into your hair and leave it for 30 minutes.
- In this step, you may want to cover your hair with a shower cap.
- After 30 minutes, rinse off and shampoo as usual.
2. Olive Oil and Lemon
Mixture of olive oil and lemon juice is very useful for dry flakes of skin and hair fall, which is caused by poor diet, stress and poor climate. Application of olive oil is strongly recommended as it really works for hair fall and moisturizes your dry scalp.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 2 tablespoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoon of water.
- Massage on slightly wet scalp.
- Leave for 20 minutes.
- Then wash off and shampoo your hair.
- Treatment can be applied every other week.
We all know that camellia sinensis has a lot of benefits for our body, but what can a cup of tea do for your hair?
You might be surprised, but tea really can relieve hair loss, prevent dandruff, normalize oil production, and protect your hair against damage by ultraviolet radiation.
- First, only use unsweetened tea.
- Brew the tea on 4 cups or 1000 ml of water.
- Leave it until it gets cold.
- Use the tea to rinse your hair after using your regular shampoo or conditioner.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a rich vitamins and mineral source which are pretty good for hair.
Joshua Zeichner, M.D., the director of cosmetic and clinical research in Dermatology at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City, said that apple cider vinegar helps lower the amount of yeast growing on your scalp, which, in turn, helps protect against dandruff.
- Take 1 tbsp of vinegar and pour it in a half cup of water.
- Additionally, you can add a few drops of essential oil for better smell.
- Comb the liquid to your damp hair and leave it for 5 minutes.
- Rinse with regular shampoo.
Eggs can easily be found in your kitchen and almost everyone knows eggs are very good for hair. The yolk contains fat and protein which is a natural moisturizer. Egg-white contains bacteria-eating enzymes which helps to diminish unwanted oil on your scalp.
- For normal hair: Use entire egg to condition.
- For dry hair: Use egg yolk only to moisturize dry and damaged hair.
- For oily hair: Use egg white only to treat oil and grease.
- Make the egg mixture according to your hair type and length.
- Apply on clean and slightly wet hair (scalp & shaft).
- Leave it for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with cool water and shampoo your hair.
Whole egg (including yolk) treatment can be applied once in a month while egg white treatment can be applied every other weeks.
A passionate healthy blogger who loves to share about healthy lifestyle, beauty tips, and food management.